Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dating with Children: Weekly "date" nights


In honor of Valentine's Day, I am re-posting something I wrote for Emily while she was welcoming sweet baby Claire into this world! She asked us to write about "date nights," and I jumped at the chance to dote on my love. So, here's what I shared:



Chad and I have been fortunate to have my mom nearby (as in the same house) so we can sneak out after Cam goes to bed to grab a glass of wine, go to a movie or have dinner with friends. But it's not always that easy. There are chores, work and exhaustion. Mostly the last one. Friends, I am in bed by 9:00 most nights!!! That means that by the time we do dinner, bath and bed with Cam, putting on make-up and a decent outfit and staying out for four more hours doesn't sound that appealing to me.

But I crave time with Chad. I am always texting him that I miss him - not because I don't see him, but because our time together is so consumed by Cam, work talk and life. Even after he goes to bed, I am so mentally exhausted that I am sure I am not the most fun partner. So, that's why we try to do "date night" at least once a week. It doesn't mean that we go out somewhere every week, but we "date" and spend time together. Sometimes it's a movie or football game on TV, sometimes we do leave the house and do something, but no matter what it is, we spend time together (and not on our phones)! 





So, here's a list of some of our "date nights" (even if they are "date nights in" as Erin calls them)!


  • Go to the Movies, of course...sometimes you can even sneak in an airplane bottle to add to your Diet Coke! Shhh....
  • Search Pinterest to build your dream home
  • Drink good Italian wine while watching Goodfellas (I love themes, so pick your poison: Paella and Sangria, Coronas and Tacos, etc..)
  • Learn to cook something new together (in my case, learn from Chad!)
  • Play pool or darts at a local dive bar - there's nothing better than $2 beer!
  • Clean together - seriously, we do this some nights and end up in such a good mood (beer doesn't hurt)
  • Light a fire, make a cocktail and play card games
  • Sit on the front porch and listen...it's so relaxing!
  • Play bartenders and try a new drink (or smoothie)
  • Go bowling!!
  • Turn on Pandora and get a head massage (I am always the receiver of this...It's my favorite! Haha)
  • Write a gratitude/ bucket list together - it may surprise you what the other has to say!
  • Go to a local sporting event
  • Play Wii. Seriously. Add some tequila and it could get competitive. Just saying. (We've done this too many times.)
  • Go to a comedy show
  • Restaurant Hop - go to a few different restaurants and share a drink/app at each place
  • Search YouTube for fiddle players (or hip hop dancers or comedians)...it's fun!

We buy a lot of Living Social and Groupons to have on hand for when we want to head out...it kind of forces us to try someplace new while saving us money!! :)


What are some of your favorite date nights?


1 comment:

  1. I love this! Date nights totally don't have to be done out all the time ;) I much prefer date nights in pj's!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...