Friday, May 17, 2013

A Day in My Life

I so totally should not have read Sara's A Day in My Life post before writing my own because hers is hilarious, but here it goes...

1:30 am - Cam wakes up and cries for his paci...I put it back in for the 4th time and hope that's all he needs. It is, and he goes back to sleep. I don't. My allergies are killing me and my throat is so stinkin dry that I suck on three cough drops before finally dozing off again.

3:30 am - Cam wakes up and cries for his paci...When are we going to take that darn thing away? Maybe next weekend...

5:00 am - Cam wakes up and cries for his paci...nope. He's hungry. I throw my robe on, grab his bottle out of the fridge (I've gotten smart as to save 45 seconds each morning by pre-making a bottle before bed), grab him and head to the couch. He drinks 4 oz and puts his paci back in. He leans on my chest and is fast asleep immediately. I have discovered the most perfect position to be able to sleep while holding Cameron on the couch but this morning is a little trickier with my cold. Ugh

6:15 am - Chad wakes up, kisses me on the head, uses the bathroom and takes over Cam-duty. I stumble to the bathroom and take a shower. I turn the water temperature up as high as I can tolerate and pretend I have all the time in the world...until I realize that I am already running late. I hop out of the shower, do my face routine, brush my teeth, throw some mousse-ish stuff into my hair and check on Cam. Chad is at his desk booting up his computer while Cam is in his highchair in front of the tv (great parents, huh?!). Cam is calm, so I continue getting ready by picking out the most convenient outfit and throwing it in the dryer to get the wrinkles out. I choose some coral capris, a brownish sweater, flats and a scarf...a very typical outfit for me.

6:50 am - Cam starts crying and we attribute it to getting bored sitting in his chair. We leave him in his chair for a minute while I hop around to get dressed and Chad finishes an email. He continues crying, so Chad goes to get him. I notice some wetness on his back and immediately assume he's had another blowout. His pants are wet and, now, so is Chad. I do diaper duty while Chad entertains Cam...he's not buying it and is in an awful mood. He looks so tired and weak, so I say I'll call the doctor.

7:00 am - Cam is dressed in a new outfit, we say goodbye to Chad and head upstairs. My mom is making coffee and takes Cam for a few snuggles while I pack the car. (I had some Arbonne goodies to deliver to co-workers today.) I attempt to put Cam in his car seat and he wiggles and squirms until I finally get him buckled in. All I want to do is go back inside and cuddle him all day. Sometimes I hate that I work and send him to day care. :(

7:10 am - We leave for day care and I try to sing to Cam to calm him down. (I am the world's worst singer; why do I think he enjoys it?!) He finally sees something out the window that catches his attention until he loses his paci and starts crying...seriously? We need to stop that ASAP.

7:20 am - I drop Cam off at daycare and don't mention anything about health issues - bad mom, but I can't miss work again today (I missed this past Monday and 2 days last week). If he's sick, they'll call me. Trust me...they're not afraid of that!

7:28 am - I call Cam's doctor. They open at 7:30. FML. I blast some rap (our car has an amazing bass) and pretend I'm not a teacher.

7:33 am - I pull into school and head to my classroom. I make small talk with lots of teachers along the way and can't wait to get to my Keurig and get some caffeine into my system! Students come in to do homework. I check emails. The school starts getting louder and the day has started.

8:00 am - 2:20 pm School is in session and I work like a busy-bee writing reports, updating my resume for school board approval, researching our benefits package and molding the minds of our future.

2:30 - I do detention duty three times a week (A little extra scratch in each paycheck adds up!) and 1 student shows up. It's 75 degrees outside (the first day it's been above 50 all year), so the assistant principal tells me I can send her home, if I want. Are you kidding me? I don't want to be there, either! See ya!

2:40 - I pick up Cam just as they put him down for a nap. I am hoping that he'll take a quick nap at home then we can go to the playground.

2:50 - I feed Cam a bottle, put him in his crib, change into shorts and a strapless tank in hopes of getting some sun while he naps.

3:05 - I am sitting on our back porch with the sun on my face when I hear a baby crying. It can't be Cam! He's exhausted...

3:06 - It's Cam. He won't nap. Let's go for a walk. Maybe you'll nap in your stroller? We head to Walmart (classy mom, huh?!) to pick up some allergy medicine, protein bars and another travel wipe case - I can't seem to keep one for longer than a couple of months. He doesn't nap.

4:30 - We return home and find that Chad is home, too! We play and entertain Cam until it's time for his doctor's appointment - magazines, watches, remote controls...really anything that isn't a toy!

5:30 - We arrive at our doctor's office and try to keep Cam from knocking over plants, water machines and newspaper racks.

5:40 - The nurse comes to get us. We strip the boy down, check his temp (ouch) and get a weight.

5:45 - The doctor comes in (they never leave us waiting long, thank goodness) and does an overall check - everything's good; Cam just has a virus. He does want us to collect his stools for 24 hours...that sounds like fun. Said nobody ever. Oh, the joys of parenthood. ;)

6:30 - We finally leave the doctor's office after asking 942 questions and decide on Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner. The Bruins are playing Game 1, but we will most likely be home before the game even'll still be fun to be there for the pre-game coverage.

7:00 - Beers and wings are ordered. Cam is chowing down on some baby snacks (and napkins, oops) while eyeing our beers...he is definitely our child.

7:30 - We sign our check and head out the door. We need gas (We drive a dump truck apparently) and ice cream, of course. Our local ice cream store knows us (and Cam) by name since we went there every. single. night while I was pregnant. Thanks, mint chocolate chip!

7:50 - Cam is changed and fed and it's time for bed. (We really need to get on that schedule thing...we are never home to do a bath at the same time, so he kind of goes to bed between 7:00 - 8:00.)

8:00 - Cam is fast asleep, and so I am. On the couch. While Chad watches the Bruins. This darn head cold has worn me out! He gentle wakes me and sends me to bed. He's the best. 

9:30 - Cam wakes up and cries for his paci...we both fall right back to sleep.

11:30 - Cam wakes up and cries for his paci...we have to get rid of it this weekend. We'll see about that. 

And, that's a very typical day in our life, even though every day is oh-so-different. I love it and wouldn't change it for the world!!



  1. This is awesome, Jess! It's so reassuring to know that us parents all have the same struggles, highs and lows, and joys in raising our children and taking care of our families. You and Chad are awesome parents - Cam is so lucky!!! XOXO.

  2. I agree, this was a reassuring post. Thank goodness others go through it and life with a baby isn't perfect ;)

  3. Love this post! Totally agree with both comments that its so nice to know we all experience the same struggles, especially as a fellow working mommy. I definitely need to do this - I think you'll love looking back on this in a few years and realizing how life has changed!

  4. This is great... I can relate to so many aspects of your day! You are a super mom!! :)

    P.S. How did the paci getting rid of go? ;) ;)

  5. I love your day in the life post! So real, so busy, so exhausting! I can totally relate. Being a working mama is HARD. Go go go go go.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...