So, I have started this 30-Day Detox, and I must say that it's easier than I thought! Of course, I miss ice cream, crunchy things (chips mainly), wine and chocolate, but I feel great and am hoping that as I continue with the detox, I will miss these things less and less!
After doing lots of research on the internet, I found some wonderful gluten-free dinners that the whole family can eat. I am the only one doing the detox, so I don't want to make Chad suffer too much. ;)
I found this recipe for Curried Rice with Shrimp, and I admit that I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! I am not a huge fan of either curry or shrimp, so it wasn't overly appealing at first. However, the end result was delicious, healthy and easy, which makes for an A+ in my book!
(If you want to print the recipe, click on the link above; they have a printer-friendly version!)
Curried Rice with Shrimp
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup gluten-free rice
kosher salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled, deveined large shrimp
1/2 cup fresh basil
1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally until soft (6-8 minutes).
2. Add garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the rice, amount of water recommended on box and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat* and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and "nestle" them in the partially cooked rice.
5. Cover and cook until the shrimp are done (4-5 minutes). Add the basil and serve.
*I had to switch burners because even "low" was too hot and my rice got really dry really fast.
This was seriously such an easy dish to make, and I even got to hang out with my favorite men while doing it. ;)
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that A) Cameron is sick. B) Chad is a great entertainer. Here he is again making Cam laugh!