Monday, December 10, 2012

The Big 3-0...

Well, today's the day!! I am turning THIRTY years old, and boy does it feel good! Seriously...I like it. I like saying I'm 30. I am, in no way, where I thought I would be at 30, but I don't care. Who lives their life exactly as planned? That's no fun!!! God has to throw in some hurdles, curves and ditches, and I'm fairly sure that I am pretty lucky. I can sit here and think of all of the troubles and hardtimes I've had, but who am I kidding? I have an amazing partner. A wonderful family. An excellent job. And the most beautiful, heart-warming creation - Cameron.

As a tribute to this big milestone, I thought I would share 30 things that I have learned so far...

1. Don't open credit cards. Open one that offers fantastic rewards (cash, flights, etc) and only use it when you have the money in the bank to pay it off immediately. I know you shouldn't have regrets, but I regret opening credit card accounts! I am still paying off those dinner, shoes and couches that I purchased 6 years ago!

2. If you are fortunate enough to go to college, live on campus. I know that living at home saves money, blah, blah, blah. But, if you can, live on your own!! You learn so much about yourself (including how to do laundry and make Ramen Noodles). It's so very worth it.

3. Travel as much as you can!

4. Go to as many interviews as you can. Even if you aren't 100% interested in the job, you never know who you will meet. And, who knows...you may even end up liking the job! Plus, it's great experience to mess up in an interview that doesn't matter as much to you.

5. Join a group. Church. Junior League. Book Club. Be involved!

6. Never judge a person until you've been in their shoes. Boy, have I learned this time and time again!

7. People can change. For better and for worse.

8. You don't lose friends. You just realize who is important.

9. Don't smoke. ICK.

10. Don't drink too much. (You look like an idiot and do stupid things.)

11. Say YES (as long as it's not life-changing or dangerous)

12. Don't rush life. Just because you are dating someone at the age of 24 and you think you should be married at the age of 25, don't marry them!! It's worth the wait...

13. Move away from home. Living in a different state really forces you to find yourself. And really opens your eyes to who matters.

14. Having a kid changes your life completely. Don't forget about your pre-baby friends, but don't be surprised if your circles changes. Your true friends will always be there.

15. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife changes your life completely. Don't forget about your friends when you go into a relationship!!!!

16. Don't judge. Everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

17. Be nice to everyone. Open doors. Say hello.

18. Build and cherish your relationship with your parents. As much as you dislike them as children, you will turn to them first when adulthood becomes too much.

19. Marry someone like your father.

20. Family is SO important. Your cousins will become your best friends. Your aunt and uncles will become like parents.

21. Wash your hands.

22. Take risks.

23. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE

24. Drink lots of water. ;)

25. DO NOT drink and drive. No matter how "fine" you think you are. And don't get in the car with someone who has been drinking. It's not worth it!

26. Tattoos don't define a person. Don't judge.

27. As much as you plan your life, He has a different plan. Don't fight it.

28. Respect your body.

29. SMILE

30. LOVE....quickly, unconditionally, forever.


I have learned so much (When I thought I knew it all at the age of 18!), but I know that I am not done learning! What have you learned in your life? Looking back at my list, I think my biggest lesson has been don't judge! I like to consider myself extremely open-minded, but I still find myself judging a bit too quickly...bad trait!!

So, here's to me and my life of 30 years...Cheers!


6 comments:

  1. i love this post! Especially the part with the things you have learned!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to your birthday and great learnings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, sister! I love so many of these! Happy happy birthday! 30 is amazing and it just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm a new follower! Happy Belated Birthday! I just turned 30 in September and am loving it too! I agree with so many things on this list, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it to 30. I wish you many more. Im one of your newest followers from the friday link up. I would love for you to check my blog out!
    Http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! I found your site from the Follow Friend Friday Link Up Party on Glam Hungry Mom. You are your family are too cute! I would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me as well! Thanks and hope your birthday was amazingly great!

    Marquis Clarke
    simply-clarke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...