Friday, October 12, 2012

Dear Cameron,

This may be the corniest post that I will ever write (probably not), but I'm your mom and I'm allowed to be as emotional as I want. ;)

I am currently sitting at work (Shhh, don't tell my boss!) and today is "Fall Fest" at school. Each class is wearing their colors:

Freshmen: White
Sophomores: Blue
Juniors: Red
Seniors: Black

The purpose of today is to get as many points for your class as possible. They get points by decorating halls, an assembly production and lots and lots of games throughout the day. The kids are so excited that it's Fall Fest and I can see their true adolescence coming out...in a good way! These days, it seems like kids want to act, dress and look so much older that they miss out on being a "kid" sometimes. But, not today. They're dressed in ridiculous outfits and are just laughing and gabbing away without a care in the world.

This is where you come in, Cameron. I want you to have FUN as a child. I want you to be responsible, mature and respectful, yes, but I also want you to act like a kid. I can't wait for you to play with trains, balls and blocks. I can't wait to watch you at your first t-ball practice. (Gah! I'm tearing up already!) I can't wait to help you make Valentines cards for your classmates (hopefully that's still PC when you are in elementary school). I can't wait to take you shopping for your first middle school dance. I can't wait for YOU to be at Fall Fest. I can't wait to help you look at colleges. I can't wait to watch you grow. But, not too fast.

You have to enjoy being a kid. You have to play in dirt. You have to play outside. I don't even want to buy you a game station - I never had one, and I turned out just fine! You have to ride your bike (and wear your helmet) to your friends' houses. You have to build forts with your Dad (and Mom). You have to climb trees. You have to get skinned knees and chins (and go to the ER, I guess...I've heard that it's inevitable if you're a "boy" mom).

Anyways, I just want to give you the best life possible, and I don't want you to miss out on anything. I don't want you to feel like you have to act older than you are. I want you to live each year as it's supposed to be lived. And, so far, you're doing a great job at that. ;)

xoxo,
MOM


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful wish for your little man. I feel much the same way about raising my boys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...