Thursday, September 20, 2012

I am the Master Mother

....or, so I think.

I have had this title of "Mother" for almost 12 weeks, and that, for sure, makes me a Master Mother. Right?

Want to know why? I have learned SOOO much in the last 12 weeks that it makes my mind spin. Literally.

Haven't I been a Mother my entire life? Nope, my dear...you just started. And it's never going to end.


Here's what I have learned:

We no longer control our schedule. Those 10:00 pm cocktails at the local bar. Nope. Not happening. We're lucky if we are both still awake at 10.

You cannot do this on your own. God bless every single mother (including my own) who didn't have a partner around to help. How in the world did you take a shower? Fill bottles? Do laundry? 

You cannot do this on your own. Part II. Family and friends who have offered to help - THANK YOU. Chad's mom came to visit for 2 weeks. Thank the Lord. Friends and family have offered to watch Cameron while we go to dinner, get my hair done, etc...THANK YOU.

Babies CAN sleep during the night. We were so blessed that Cam learned the difference between day and night at a very early age (like 2 weeks), so even though he was still waking up to eat in the middle of the night, he went right back to sleep because that's what the rest of the world was doing. Bless you, child. And now that he doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night, I am so stinking thankful that he has learned to sleep for 10 straight hours!

Babies don't need much. Coming from the women who added and deleted more items from her registry than humanly possible; researched every single bottle, car seat, high chair and wipe warmer; and stalked every "mom" blog for products, all babies need are diapers, food, and clothes. Of course, the chairs, swings, Boppies and toys sure do help, but really, does he care about all of the fancy stuff we have? Nope.

Chad and I are still best friends. You absolutely cannot do this parent thing without a strong partner. Sure, we've fought and not agreed on everything, but, in the end, we are still the most important things in each other's lives and respect each other as parents.

Choosing a day care is the scariest decision we have ever made in our entire lives. Trusting your child with a stranger? Whoever thought that was a good idea? Gah!!

Being a Mother/Father is so natural. It amazes me to watch some people transform from a careless, irresponsible young adult to a mature parent (usually). I remember sitting in the hospital when Cam was just 2 days old. Nobody else was there. Not a nurse. Not Chad. Just me and Cameron. And I thought, 'Why in the world do they trust me with this tiny human?' But, they didn't have a choice, and neither did I. When it comes to it, you just do it! Luckily, I have had a lot of experience with babies, but being a Mother is so completely different. You are responsible 24/7...there's no checking out when the parents get home - you ARE the parent!

Your social life disappears. And trust me, that is OK because the alternative is amazing. I honestly would rather be nowhere on a Friday night then at home with Chad and Cameron. Of course, it's always nice when people come visit us, but going out is not our first priority anymore.

But, in the end, this is what we were made to do, right? God created us to do good in the world and to create more little people. And this is what we have done. And it feels so right.

xoxo,
Jess

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...